Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]
Is it possible to make only a basic use of Studio?
Thread poster: Sandrine Ananie
Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agencies and final customers Mar 19, 2010

I totally depend on my clients about the use of CAT tools. When they say: jump, I jump. So if they begin to use Studio more frequently, I'll use it, but definitely I don't think I'll be using it all by myself, I mean, it won't be my choice tool anymore. As long as Trados 2007 works in my computer, I'll be using it.

I personally believe that the use of a specific CAT tool - if it will be popular or not - depends much on the translation agencies. Since I begin working with translation, 13 years ago, I always used the CAT tool that the agency specified. That's why I learned how to use Trados, Transit, Catalyist, Passolo, Helium, proprietary softwares for subtitling and so many others.

What you say is true but I wanted to add that often translation companies depend a lot on what their customers require.

I used to work in a multinational translation company and many customers (big software companies with large multilingual projects) required specific CAT tools for easier integration with their own internal procedures.

For the translation company, it was a business decision: if using whatever tool requested by the client would mean that they would make money even after buying licences and training their in-house staff and freelancers (yes, some companies offer training to their freelancers), they would use it.

On the other hand, it is true that the change from Trados 2007 to Studio 2009 is a big change. An advanced Trados user can have the feeling of becoming suddenly a newbie with Studio.

I had the same feeling when I swiched from Office 2003 to Office 2007. Suddenly I was not able to perform the simplest operations in Office 2007 without checking the help, which was, at times quite frustrating...

The good thing is that such a change is an opportunity to re-consider many things and, as in the case of Tomás, find a totally new tool which meets his needs quite adequately.

Change is part of life, no matter how frustrating it can be at times.

Daniel

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2010-03-19 18:32 GMT]

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2010-03-19 18:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to make only a basic use of Studio?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »