Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Is it possible to make only a basic use of Studio?
Thread poster: Sandrine Ananie
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:07
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which resolution then please? Mar 17, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
What resulotion would you prefer? 640 x 480 as in DOS times?

I think it is not reasonable to expect all translators to buy two screens (or four, for that matter) and use big resolutions just because SDL's programmers haven't managed to pack things more tightly in the interface and choose viewable information more wisely (or just simply by listening to users). If this was a democratic decision, the thousands of people who will use Studio on a daily basis deserve more respect.

Come on, Jerzy, let's have the lower resolution capture!

What you see here is again 1280 x 720 points big. And my PC is set up to 120 dpi. This is a setting I will not change just for fun, as then I would need to restart the PC.
I do not force anyone to do anything. So do not force me either please
I just ask, for which sake shall the resolution be lower? And please remember: SDL clearly recomends 1280 x 1024 as min. resolution for the tool. It is in the specs somwhere. AFAIK all modern monitors do provide that.
There are also enough laptops providing good screens with a working-capable resolution.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Here's a normal screen Mar 17, 2010

Just to join the fun, I used my laptop and no external monitor which I think is pretty representative - 1280 x 800, although most users I speak to work with a seperate monitor these days... however.

This is the default view in Studio and of course it can be changed pretty easily to show more or less information to suit your tastes.

Then I
... See more
Just to join the fun, I used my laptop and no external monitor which I think is pretty representative - 1280 x 800, although most users I speak to work with a seperate monitor these days... however.

This is the default view in Studio and of course it can be changed pretty easily to show more or less information to suit your tastes.

Then I moved the default terminology views to be where GG wanted them... I think.

I think this is quite customisable, and doesn't really contain a lot of wasted space. You can lose all the menu items in one keystroke while you are translating if you don't want them.

However, I also think that it's horses for courses and if you still don't like it then use something else. But I'd still be interested to see what the alternative is with uncluttered default views that are so much better than this that you feel the need to post as you are?

Kind regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-03-17 21:05 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Adaptable Mar 17, 2010

You can drag the lines as shown.
You can detach window 2 and move it around the screen, also resizing it.
You can set window 2, 3&4 to autohide.

BTW, the resolution of this one is 1376 x 768... Satisfied?

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Minimum required resolution Mar 17, 2010

I wanted to mention, just to be fair, that the minimum required resolution, as stated in the product brief (which can be checked before buying it) is 1280x1024.

I don't know if many users have this resolution or how this compares with other CAT tools but at least it is something about which you can make a decision before your purchase.

Daniel

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A default 1024x768 screen... Mar 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But let's consider a newbie with a said laptop.
The screen you see up there is 1280 x 720
(...)
All this is highly configurable.
I fully understand, a newbie will not know all this, as he/she is a newbie.
But then what he/she should do in your opinion? I would suppose at least RTFM or similar.

I think you're wrong.
Nobody reads manuals.
A softtware maker should take it in the account...

BTW, a default look of Studio on a 1024x768 (default settings), the Multiterm form is activated, the Sample project provided by SDL is used "as is".

You think it's sound?

I agree in one point: developers/programmer from SDL should hear more to translators now instead of corporations. They have already made a nice tool for corporations, now it is the time to make it perfect for translators. There are a lot of improvements in that terms and more will come, I'm quite certain. So if you have ideas what or how to change, drop a line on ideas.sdltrados.com - this will give us the opportunity to possibly get what we need.

My first idea is they should fix the default Multiterm CSV export filter.
Then. we'll see...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-17 21:18 GMT]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:07
Spanish
+ ...
Customizing setups Mar 17, 2010

I have 4 customized layouts that I use in my 15" laptop and in one for my desktop set-up (docked to a 24" and 19" monitor): 2 for typing and 2 for dictating (different keystrokes).

When I use my laptop, the only 3 things I always have displayed are the TM, the Term Recognition window and the editor. The Concordance window is docked in the TM area, the Termbse viewer and the Preview windows are auto-hidden (displayed when hovered). Only 1 row of toolbars is displayed.

Wh
... See more
I have 4 customized layouts that I use in my 15" laptop and in one for my desktop set-up (docked to a 24" and 19" monitor): 2 for typing and 2 for dictating (different keystrokes).

When I use my laptop, the only 3 things I always have displayed are the TM, the Term Recognition window and the editor. The Concordance window is docked in the TM area, the Termbse viewer and the Preview windows are auto-hidden (displayed when hovered). Only 1 row of toolbars is displayed.

When I have my laptop docked to my large monitors, everything is in plain view: the TM, Term Recognition, Termbase Viewer, Concordance and Preview windows. And, all the toolbars are displayed.

To Antoní­n, everything is easy to drag and set, and the layouts can be saved as profiles. However, the toolbars layout and the size of the fonts can't be saved in the profiles. I think that's a mistake.

Here's my laptop layout (15"):

And my two monitor layout (24" + 19"):

[Edited at 2010-03-17 22:34 GMT]
Collapse

Joel Earnest
Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
And then there's the horizontal layout thing ... Mar 17, 2010

I would REALLY like to be able to switch to a vertical view during proofing. I like Studio a lot, but nonetheless, I'm making occasional omission errors in my translations since switching over--missing words in in-sentence lists and missing phrases now and then.

These kinds of errors are just easier to detect with a vertical layout. The same goes for phone numbers, longer product codes and such.

As I've been using Studio daily since it was released, I don't thing it's j
... See more
I would REALLY like to be able to switch to a vertical view during proofing. I like Studio a lot, but nonetheless, I'm making occasional omission errors in my translations since switching over--missing words in in-sentence lists and missing phrases now and then.

These kinds of errors are just easier to detect with a vertical layout. The same goes for phone numbers, longer product codes and such.

As I've been using Studio daily since it was released, I don't thing it's just a matter of getting used to the new layout. And by the way, I prefer the horizontal layout on the first run through the document and during the final check. It's just for that second time through a file, when I check the content.
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Below minimum requirements? Mar 17, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
BTW, a default look of Studio on a 1024x768 (default settings), the Multiterm form is activated, the Sample project provided by SDL is used "as is".

Here it could be argued that you can't expect the application to work well with its default settings in a resolution which is below its minimum requirments.

What does it look like with at 1280x1024 with the default settings? (and yes, I know, people do not read about minimum requirements).

Daniel

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2010-03-17 21:27 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Just like Microsoft 10 years ago... Mar 17, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

(...)

Then I moved the default terminology views to be where GG wanted them... I think.

Yes, it's the layout I would have by default

However, I also think that it's horses for courses and if you still don't like it then use something else. But I'd still be interested to see what the alternative is with uncluttered default views that are so much better than this that you feel the need to post as you are?

Well, I think Trados Studio is at the "Windows 2000 Server" stage.
I.e. all the services were enabled by default.
The Microsoft realized it was a wrong choice and in the Windows 2003 Server, they rather offered to the users a possibility to switch it on when necessary.
Now, you're 10 years after Microsoft.

As I see the examples of Claudia and Jerzy (who are experienced users), they tend to reduce the clutter i.e. the unnecessary GUI items (icons etc.).
So, show less icons.

The same with the left pane.
Just hide it automatically.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-17 21:40 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
To Claudia Mar 17, 2010

Thank you. I attach my favourite one in NXT on my 14" narrow-screen laptop.

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your view is NOT default Mar 17, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

You think it's sound?

Well, I just started a very fresh copy of never used Studio (on my VM, used for training, so it is ALWAYS just after the installation, but never started any time) and got this:

Do not see it so cluttered, as you claim.
BTW, this is 1024 x 768. Do you still wanna go lower with the res?

[Edited at 2010-03-17 22:03 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you hide too much... Mar 17, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
The same with the left pane.
Just hide it automatically.

then how the unexperienced user is supposed to find it then?
And if you hide that one by default, he will open a project and not find a file...
I agree, to many options may make the human afraid of the cat, but otoh a laptop with Win7 has already so many, that this poor human being in front of it must be completly scared even before the machine starts for the first time. Wouldn't it be the role of universities to show people, how to use a PC? As far I can see that for the moment, this task is not widely performed. I remember some discussions with university guys a year ago in Poland. They were interested in Trados classes... And that's it - a year after they are most certainly still very interested, but in the meaintime the're producing students, who then ask "where are my files..." or so.

@Antonin: you can setup Studio to show you JUST the side-by-side editor and nothing else. The editor window is the only one which can't be hidden in this view. But OTH which sense would it make to hide it then?
On your NXT screen, where do you see a fuzzy match from TM? I see the Czech and English text and terminology, but fail to find the TM results window...

[Edited at 2010-03-17 21:55 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
You're right... Mar 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Well, I just started a very fresh copy of never used Studio (on my VM, used for training, so it is ALWAYS just after the installation, but never started any time) and got this:

Do not see it so cluttered, as you claim.
BTW, this is 1024 x 768. Do you still wann ago lower with the res?

Well, I don't use this machine in the real life and I missed the left pane
But the terminology form is really a basic feature for me.
I add a term every two, three sentences, so it makes no sense to hide it.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-17 22:53 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Autohide it Mar 17, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

It makes then pretty much sense to detach this window, make nearly it as big as your whole screen and then set to autohide.
When you want to add terminology, just select the term in target, press F6 (by default takes you to the source text, I reconfigured that to CTRL+TAB) and select the term there. Now you would need to take the mouse in your hand by default, so I decided to use a shortcut for that instead and configured CTRL+M. Now I can add terms with just keyboard and that very fast.
So, now when you then press your shortcut for "Add new term", the hidden window will appear and give you all the editing possibilities for the new entry. Edit the entry, press F12 and the window dissapears - you're done.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Right click (terminology) Mar 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

It makes then pretty much sense to detach this window, make nearly it as big as your whole screen and then set to autohide.
When you want to add terminology, just select the term in target, press F6 (by default takes you to the source text, I reconfigured that to CTRL+TAB) and select the term there. Now you would need to take the mouse in your hand by default, so I decided to use a shortcut for that instead and configured CTRL+M. Now I can add terms with just keyboard and that very fast.
So, now when you then press your shortcut for "Add new term", the hidden window will appear and give you all the editing possibilities for the new entry. Edit the entry, press F12 and the window dissapears - you're done.

Yes, I know the way but I istill magine I have no place to detach this window on my lousy 1024x768
Second, the autohide delay seems too short.
When I m'not enough rapid to place the mouse over the pane, it disappears (I have approx. two seconds).
Imagine I'm a slow IT idiot.

With MemoQ, when I'm a dummy, I just right click the selected text and I have Add term (Ctrl+E) command.
It works in an a very intuitive way.
When I right click on the target in Trados and select Add tern, I expect a void source, I can fill it quicker than using the source selection.
You see the difference between MQ and the Trados defaults you need to modify so hard in order to work as a human?

BTW.
I can't add a term when the word is not detected by the spellchecker, the default spellchecker related menu hides the default menu.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-17 23:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to make only a basic use of Studio?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »