Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Is it possible to make only a basic use of Studio?
Thread poster: Sandrine Ananie
Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:01
French to Polish
+ ...
Where are my files... right click... Mar 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
The same with the left pane.
Just hide it automatically.

then how the unexperienced user is supposed to find it then?
(...)
Wouldn't it be the role of universities to show people, how to use a PC? As far I can see that for the moment, this task is not widely performed. I remember some discussions with university guys a year ago in Poland. They were interested in Trados classes... And that's it - a year after they are most certainly still very interested, but in the meaintime the're producing students, who then ask "where are my files..." or so.

Yep, you're right.
I think 50% of my postgraduate students have serious problems kinda "where are my files...".
The problem is nobody can "prepare" 'em to reach the minimum level before they start the CAT classes.
So why so I'm so keen about the usability.

And Studio has a lot of very basic GUI quirks, e.g. when you right click the toolbar zone, the list of toolbars should be displayed.
If you need a function, just right click and see the menu.
A sound contextual menu is very important.
A well designed program should resolve 80-90% of the common useful actions using the right click in transparent way, I have no impression Trados does...

One of my preferred absurdities is the Activate row function.
The behavour is erratic (i.e. sometimes it's enabled, sometimes disabled) and the most funny is the function has no impact at all 'cause with the default settings the row is "enabled" when you click it
This is a perfect example of Trados clutter.
Why they display it?
You see the reason?

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-17 23:52 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Resolution... Mar 17, 2010

Daniel García wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
BTW, a default look of Studio on a 1024x768 (default settings), the Multiterm form is activated, the Sample project provided by SDL is used "as is".

Here it could be argued that you can't expect the application to work well with its default settings in a resolution which is below its minimum requirments.

True.
But, personally, I think it's a problem with the design.
I feel the minimum required for Studio (i.e. 1280x1024) is functionally similar to a lower resolution for MemoQ or DVX.
The DVX case is rather special (i.e. the GUI is really minimalist and the application was released 7 years ago) but MQ is rather acceptable.
Please, note, I don't say comfortable

What does it look like with at 1280x1024 with the default settings? (and yes, I know, people do not read about minimum requirements).

Yes, I know.
I don't imagine a serious work in Studio below something like 1280x1024, my default machine is a 3x1200x1600 one but I saw Studio installed on really entry level cheapo notebooks.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-17 23:49 GMT]

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Clutter? Mar 18, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
(...)
(...)
You see the reason?

While translating a particular segment you may want to copy in a few words from a nearby segment. You would have "Enable implicit row activation" (Options/Editor) turned off to do so.
Activate row is simply old Trados Alt+Home.

Another thing about this thread:

Why on Earth is everyone (Jerzy, Paul, Claudia *) hiding the Display Filter toolbar? It's an absolutely marvellous little thing and it's the first thing about Studio that has me look back on my old workflow as, well, old.

* Not Claudia, in her second screen shot.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not default Mar 18, 2010

Stefan de Boeck wrote:

Why on Earth is everyone (Jerzy, Paul, Claudia *) hiding the Display Filter toolbar? It's an absolutely marvellous little thing and it's the first thing about Studio that has me look back on my old workflow as, well, old.

* Not Claudia, in her second screen shot.

Hi Stefan,

Not hiding, just not default. This whole discussion seems to centre around what the default settings provide and by default this is one toolbar that is not there. Easy to add of course, and I would agree with you and would include it by default so people don't miss it, but then goodness knows what we would be accused of.

Of course the whole screen is made up of windows that can be moved around and tooolbars added and removed, so really the discussion is a little bizarre. I have moved many of the windows on my laptop into autohides on the left side as it makes using preview, notes, messages, terminology viewing for example a much better experience.. with only one screen. But that would only be my opinion, and I also use the display filter.

However, that's why it wasn't shown.

Regards

Paul

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not hide it - I do use it nearly for all files :) Mar 18, 2010

Stefan de Boeck wrote:
Another thing about this thread:

I've just switched off alls this "unnecessary clutter" for taking the screen shot, and then it wasn't still ok, because the resolution is to big...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Where are my files, continued Mar 18, 2010

In the files / project list right-click brings you the "Explore containing foder" command.
But this in fact does not really help - not this is a problem, but the way people think IMHO.
As they in most cases do fear the software they simply click throgh wizzards/screens with a speed of light, without even trying to read what's there. Would they, then so many question wouldn't appear at all on ProZ. But instead of even trying to look at help files, menus and so on people do prefer to <
... See more
In the files / project list right-click brings you the "Explore containing foder" command.
But this in fact does not really help - not this is a problem, but the way people think IMHO.
As they in most cases do fear the software they simply click throgh wizzards/screens with a speed of light, without even trying to read what's there. Would they, then so many question wouldn't appear at all on ProZ. But instead of even trying to look at help files, menus and so on people do prefer to reinstall the software, when the Export/Import option in File menu of Workbench is greyed out... as an unexperienced user quite a risky step, wouldn't you think? But still, it's easier to blame the product and the producer then to make a slight effort to learn something. Sorry for the bitterness here and please - no one shall feel offended, that's not my aim. But I really have that impression - provided what I read here and elswhere I am in the meantime overtired I must admit and stopped to answer simple questions in most cases.
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
move into autohide? Mar 18, 2010

SDL Support wrote:
I have moved many of the windows on my laptop into autohides on the left side...

Hi Paul,

Would you care to elaborate a little on this move into autohide thing? I'd like to see Comments and Messages where you have managed to put them (a tab)...

Stefan

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
How to move the windows Mar 18, 2010

Hi Stefan,

This is how I did it, and I'll just take one of them as an example, say the Messages. Same process for anything you wish to move. I reset all my windows to show this so hopefully this will be familiar.

1. Select the Messages window and make it activ
... See more
Hi Stefan,

This is how I did it, and I'll just take one of them as an example, say the Messages. Same process for anything you wish to move. I reset all my windows to show this so hopefully this will be familiar.

1. Select the Messages window and make it active.

2. Click on the Menu for this window and select Floating

3. Now drag the window over to the left hand side of the screen and you will see little placeholders start to appear. First drop the window onto this one.

4. Now go back to the Menu for this window (that should now be docked mon the left) and select Auto Hide

If you did that right it should now look like this;

Once you hover over the tab the window slides in and you can then drag the extent of the slide to suit your preference. I prefer the left side for these tabs as I can keep the target column clear while I use them.

You can repeat this for any window you like. Some work well in this location, some better in another location, but I just like to see these four here and keep the rest of what you see visible. Personal choice. The Terminology Viewer is particularly good here because you get a full height view of the terminology and it's far easier to see and use.

I hope this is clear and you can follow my instructions?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
thunderous Mar 18, 2010

Paul Filkin wrote:
I hope this is clear and you can follow my instructions?

Totally brilliant, Paul.
Thunderous thanks.

Stefan

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Activate row clutter... Mar 18, 2010

Stefan de Boeck wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
(...)
(...)
You see the reason?

While translating a particular segment you may want to copy in a few words from a nearby segment. You would have "Enable implicit row activation" (Options/Editor) turned off to do so.
Activate row is simply old Trados Alt+Home.

Well, the problem is the Enable implicit row activation option is active by default
and the Activate row command is not greyed out in all the cases (it's displayed after a click on the target pane of the editor), so I may click on it and it has no real impact because the command is already executed (after a click on the row).
So, it's misleading.

BTW, when I try to find the signification of this options, I go to help, I write down Activate row in the Search pane and I receive

How to Activate a Row
This topic describes how to activate a row in the Editor view. When a row becomes the active row, a lookup in the translation memory and termbase is performed. You can only edit the target segment for an active row.

To activate a row in the Editor window:

Click in the segment numbers column or the target segment column for that segment.

If you do not have the Enable implicit row activation option selected, you have to manually activate the row by confirming a previous segment or by selecting Translation > Activate Row from the menu bar.

I expect a direct link to the Enable implicit row activation option description location.
Not found.
So, I write Enable implicit row activation in the Search pane, the correct info is listed as the 5th hit.
OK, I know already where I should find this option.
Tools > Options > Editor, found.
6 clicks.
The command Activate row works as expected.

Damn easy and intuitive.

I expect this option should be always grayed out or hidden when Enable implicit row activation is selected.
Now, it's a clutter.

And if you really need Enable implicit row activation, I would rather imagine a submenu Options in the context menu with some toggle items like Enable implicit row activation.
When selected, the Activate row is added to the main contextual menu.
2 or 3 clicks.

Wow.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-18 16:59 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Where are my files, revisited... Mar 18, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Your abstraction level is too high

Yep.
In a postraduate school, in a standard 10 persons group:
- when I distribute my compilation of trial and freeware versions including the first text to do, 2-3 persons start to work on the DVD.
- when I ask to dowload a file from my FTP, almost a half of the groups add www before the name of my FTP server (of course, server not found), then 2 or 3 persons are unable to find the dowloaded file.
- when dowloaded and finally found, I must explain how to extract files from a zip archive.
- nonetheless, 2 or 3 persons start to work within the packed file.
- 7-8 persons don't know what's the style in Word.
Should I continue?

Nevertheless, after some hours wasted on Multiterm they're able to understand the terminology management principles in MemoQ.

As they in most cases do fear the software they simply click throgh wizzards/screens with a speed of light, without even trying to read what's there.

It's true.
But the DVX project creation wizard is made in the way you can't be wrong.
You have no TM/termbase, no way to continue.
Even being an idiot, one have a valid complete project... unless he don't know the names of his language pair in the GUI language choosen at the first run...

Would they, then so many question wouldn't appear at all on ProZ. But instead of even trying to look at help files, menus and so on people do prefer to reinstall the software, when the Export/Import option in File menu of Workbench is greyed out... as an unexperienced user quite a risky step, wouldn't you think?

See below...

But still, it's easier to blame the product and the producer then to make a slight effort to learn something.

As Bertrand Russell said: Many people would sooner die than think. In fact they do.
After a short reflection, I think it happens to software producers too

Sorry for the bitterness here and please - no one shall feel offended, that's not my aim. But I really have that impression - provided what I read here and elswhere I am in the meantime overtired I must admit and stopped to answer simple questions in most cases.

Well.
I did one exception these days but I was in a better mood.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-18 17:42 GMT]

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree with Tomás and Paul, which training should I get? Mar 18, 2010

I don't think tags are clutter. They are part of the text, I need to know what they are to better decide where to leave them in my translation, and --at least in my case-- only a fraction of them (basically the bold, Italics, etc.) would be encapsulated (or hidden, if you like) by Studio... or other tools. 80% of all my segments have in-line tags coming from all different tools and sources an... See more
I don't think tags are clutter. They are part of the text, I need to know what they are to better decide where to leave them in my translation, and --at least in my case-- only a fraction of them (basically the bold, Italics, etc.) would be encapsulated (or hidden, if you like) by Studio... or other tools. 80% of all my segments have in-line tags coming from all different tools and sources and quite simply cannot be hidden. I don't want them hidden either.

To me, clutter is to have half a dozen panes, each with plenty of blank space, and half a dozen toolbars which I quite simply don't need, as well as duplicated options in the same screen and parts of the interface I cannot hide even if I want to. I very much prefer to see what I really need and have all the matches, concordance, terminology, and automatic suggestions all together in a compact panel where I can quickly see what resources I have for my segment. If I need more details about these items, I will look for them actively.

When I do project management, I want to see project management options. But when I am translating, can I have my screen back please?

I have the same opinion as Tomás. This is what clutter-free means to me, Marie. And I also need the tags. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY I need the possibility to open each line separately and have that Source+Target segments walking hand in hand, understand what I mean? I like to open the Source line and have the Target line right below the Source line, not beside, not several lines below, but right "below" it. This is the only way I don't miss information. I don't know why, of course this is personal. I simply can't work in columns, it is strange for me.

Tell me, Paul from SDL support, is there any possibility to have the old Target+Source line pairs in the new Studio 2009 interface?

I also don't like to know that the program places "support" files in any "projects" folder it creates by itself. Transit does that and I hate it, because it places wherenever it wants it and I can't backup it easily.

My workflow is simple. I create a folder with the name of the project in the place I want (F drive, for example, which is specially for documents, I hate to mix my documents with the application files) and then I create subfolders such as TM, original, translated, multiterm. The translated file folder is the one I'll send to the client. Period. I don't think I need a big program to do such things for me.

As about change places of panels, no problem, I can do that, if they'll serve me better.

Imagine that I work with Trados for more than 12 years and today I discovered something new and strange that never happened before (version 2007). You see, I don't even use the 20% from the 80/20% rule!

Jerzy, my friend, look at the car you just suggested me!!! LOL. I was thinking on something much more modest, as a Ford Eco Sport!

Paul, you that are from SDL Support and is so near us, please give me some advise: I've been working with Trados 2007 for 12 years. I never needed any training and I could find my way through it (I can use Multiterm, create TMs, align, use TagEditor, i.e, the basic stuff). Now Studio is completely different. I feel like I'm sitting on an airplane cockpit, with all those buttons. I believe I'll need training, but I don't know which training I should buy: the one for beginners or the migration one? Which one you would recommend?

Thank you all, this discussion is being really good!

Heloisa
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio locates files exactly where YOU tell it to do Mar 18, 2010

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa wrote:
I also don't like to know that the program places "support" files in any "projects" folder it creates by itself. Transit does that and I hate it, because it places wherenever it wants it and I can't backup it easily.

Studio does place all files where YOU tell it to do. From the very beginning you tell the software, where the project has to go. Either you open a single file and everything is then in the folder where that file was, or you create a project and TELL Studio exactly where you wanna have it. Studio does not force you to keep project information files, as Transit Satellite and Transit XV do. You are the boss here, not the software.

But now, when we simply leave the "top-down" view issue, let's look how you could learn to use Studio quickly.

Create a folder, place a test file there.
Now go to "Create new project wizzard".
Chose the "SDL Trados" project template.
In the next step first specify the project name. Then in the "Location" line (called "Speicherort" in German) enter just the path to your previosly created folder, but leave the name of the project in the line. Ie you call your project "My first project", then the path line should look like this: d:\jobs\project folder\My first project. You will certainly notice, that when you type the project name, it appears as the name of the target folder in the specified path. Now you know exactly where your project is.
Next step, select languages.
Next step, add file.
Next step, add or create a TM. Add here also AutoSuggest dictionaries, if you have any.
Next step - add termbases.
Next step - chose the way of project preparation.
Please bear in mind, that if you chose "Populate project translation memories", you will have to update the main translation memory after having finished the project. This is however quite and advantage, as you keep the TM small while working, thus fast, and then can make sure your main TM is updated only with the last valid version of your translation.
Now you can finish the project creation.
On the last screen select the option "Create a project template based on current settings". Save the template with a convenient name in the suggested location.

Where you then need to create another project in that language pair with the same TM (or even with diffenrent TMs - possible at any time), you just select this template and press finish after you added the file(s) to the project.

I do work this way indeed even for single files. It is fast and reliable and after having created a project for some times you will also say that this is very easy.
Good luck with Studio. It isn't that complicated at all

BTW, the car I suggested wouldn't ever be my favourite - I am not a Mercedes fan But even if - it is a simple to use as Studio. Just start the engine, engage D (automatic transmission is nearly a must for such car), release the parking brake and there you go

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about the 2.8 MB of pretty useless filter files? Mar 18, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Studio does place all files where YOU tell it to do.

How about the 2.8+MB of filter files created by Studio under every single project, even if the project does not need them at all? Can you disable that functionality? Can you delete the filter files you don't need (even if it means a nuisance)?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Pretty useless files can save your life... Mar 18, 2010

Well I do not know, if they are useless.
Most certainly you could delete filters you do not need in a particular project. But...
I think this is more a feature as a problem, because if you would happen to need to add a file to the project, you simply add it and everthing works. Otherwise you would need to add filters too. But in fact they could also have been kept in a central folder, as at times of T2007 - so indeed I must admit I do not fully understand the reason.

Oth
... See more
Well I do not know, if they are useless.
Most certainly you could delete filters you do not need in a particular project. But...
I think this is more a feature as a problem, because if you would happen to need to add a file to the project, you simply add it and everthing works. Otherwise you would need to add filters too. But in fact they could also have been kept in a central folder, as at times of T2007 - so indeed I must admit I do not fully understand the reason.

Otherwise I do not really see a problem here. 2,8 MB is nowadays as much as few kB when I started 20 years ago. When you download a song, it is most probably bigger, so who really cares?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to make only a basic use of Studio?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »