Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Is it possible to make only a basic use of Studio?
Thread poster: Sandrine Ananie
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:36
English
What is you optimim working area? Mar 17, 2010

Hi Tomás,

An interesting discussion. I would be interested to know what your optimum working area would be? Maybe you can screenshot something you already use that fits the bill and post it here?

Regards

Paul

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not understand your objections, then, Tomás... Mar 17, 2010

What you have to see all the time is TM results window, terminology recognition and editor - what is wrong with that view? It covers exactly what you said you would need.
All other windows on auto hide, unnecessary toolbars hidden an there you go - 1/3 of the screen for matches, the rest for editing. No big difference (TBH no differende at all) to the old Workbench scenario.
You don't need multiple monitors for Studio alone. But you need a big monitor for it.
However, a multi-m
... See more
What you have to see all the time is TM results window, terminology recognition and editor - what is wrong with that view? It covers exactly what you said you would need.
All other windows on auto hide, unnecessary toolbars hidden an there you go - 1/3 of the screen for matches, the rest for editing. No big difference (TBH no differende at all) to the old Workbench scenario.
You don't need multiple monitors for Studio alone. But you need a big monitor for it.
However, a multi-monitor desktop can be helpful - not just for Studio, but simply as a nice working environment.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Mar 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Exactly. No big difference.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Will do! Mar 17, 2010

SDL Support wrote:
An interesting discussion. I would be interested to know what your optimum working area would be? Maybe you can screenshot something you already use that fits the bill and post it here?

Hi Paul. Yes, I will do the exercise of screencapturing Studio with the bare essentials (unnecessary things hidden/floating, just matches and Multiterm) and marking in red all the things you don't need at translation time and the wasted space.

I will do so as soon I manage to reserve an hour to install the trial version and create a project. If I don't come back about it in a few days, do not hesitate to remind me of it. It will be an interesting exercise.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please comment on the enclosed screenshot Mar 17, 2010

I prepared one.
Number 1 are tool-bars, number 2 is terminology window, number 3 is current sentence, number 4 is match from TM and number 5 is editor.
Please tell me now, what else has to be hidden to make you happy now? Or do you need to see something more in this view?
And please - what about this view is cluttered or unclear?

Here is the screen shot:

... See more
I prepared one.
Number 1 are tool-bars, number 2 is terminology window, number 3 is current sentence, number 4 is match from TM and number 5 is editor.
Please tell me now, what else has to be hidden to make you happy now? Or do you need to see something more in this view?

Here is the screen shot:

Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not just Studio Mar 17, 2010

Hi Tomás,

That isn't exactly what I meant. I'm assuming you have something better and I was interested to see what it was and whether there really was any substantial differences at all?

If it's a general gripe about CATs today then ok, that will also be interesting.

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Layouts... subzero machines... Mar 17, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

The current setup is:
_________
|__TM__|TB|
|__ -TXT-__|

Please, provide at least as alternative something like:
_________
|__TM__|TB|
|_-TXT-_| _ |

For a terminology oriented user the current setup is just ridiculous, I see just two or three terms on a lousy screen the unexperienced tranlators often have.
Every modern intelligent tool I use (MemoQ, Swordfish, Wordfast...) has at least two predfined layouts.
Only Trados is an "ein Reich, ein Führer, ein Vaterland" tool.

Generally, you should force the developers to use small screens on the test machines, kinda 1024x168 or 1280x800.
They'll quickly find all the unnecessary clutter.
BTW.
I have a 1024x768 notebook for presentations.
In fact, I bought it because it was an IBM Thinkpad, it was cheap and had a Russian keyboard I need sometimes.
It's one on my preferred "subzero" test machines.
On the screen, the old good DVX is decent, MQ is almost fair, T2009 is a lousy one line tool...
No comments.

BTW, I love this kind of "subzero" machines because you easily detect all the software weaknesses.
On my old beloved 4-screen P4, i can (almost) normally use all my habitual CAT tools except T2009.
You need some optimization.

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Even on a big screen I see Trados weaknesses... Mar 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I prepared one.

For the section 1, I see you eliminateed a lot of the default icons.
In the section 5 (text), you have a lot of unused place.
You can use it for the section 2, I may have several termhits for larger sentences.

It's easy to show big screens as example.
You have a 1280x800 one?

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-17 20:23 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A lower resolution is a good idea Mar 17, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
It's easy to show big screens as example.
You have a 1280x800 one?

Although I had already red-marked all useless bits, I think this is a good idea. Please, let's have a screen with a lower resoution, one that will match the preferences and capabilities of a big chunk of translators out there.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Bigger... Mar 17, 2010

23 inches, 1920 x 1080...
And a second one with 160 x 1200, 20 inches.
Unused space in 5? This is just because this text happens to consist of 1-4 words entries...

But I consider you wish for more room for terminology hits as a very good idea. OTOH with a dual-monitor setup this can be easily achieved by moving the window 2 to the second screen.

Just for the record: on my way from Cork to Amsterdam in a plane I used my Vaio VGN-P11Z for translating a job (pr
... See more
Unused space in 5? This is just because this text happens to consist of 1-4 words entries...

But I consider you wish for more room for terminology hits as a very good idea. OTOH with a dual-monitor setup this can be easily achieved by moving the window 2 to the second screen.

Just for the record: on my way from Cork to Amsterdam in a plane I used my Vaio VGN-P11Z for translating a job (prepared on another machine) with roughly 800 words untranslated out of a 3500 words project. This "machine" has a screen of 8 inches and 1600 x 768 pixel. Have left just match and text, as I do not need terminology for that jobs (work on them since 10 years now), and I was ready before landing in Amsterdam...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why then please? Mar 17, 2010

Although I had already red-marked all useless bits, I think this is a good idea. Please, let's have a screen with a lower resoution, one that will match the preferences and capabilities of a big chunk of translators out there.

What resulotion would you prefer? 640 x 480 as in DOS times?
Most monitors on the market have nowadays at least 1280 x 1024 or more. So I don't see your problem, really. I reduced the size of the picture here to 1280 x 720 - and even if you buy a modern laptop, you will have more (typical 1360 x 768 or something like that).

[Edited at 2010-03-17 20:34 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
A newbie with a 1376x768... Mar 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Just find a more "normal" example

No, you're still trying to live in a perfect world.
Imagine a newbie who just putchased a "big" 15.4' notebook... 1376x768...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-17 20:40 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Forcing people to do things they won't Mar 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
What resulotion would you prefer? 640 x 480 as in DOS times?

I think it is not reasonable to expect all translators to buy two screens (or four, for that matter) and use big resolutions just because SDL's programmers haven't managed to pack things more tightly in the interface and choose viewable information more wisely (or just simply by listening to users). If this was a democratic decision, the thousands of people who will use Studio on a daily basis deserve more respect.

Come on, Jerzy, let's have the lower resolution capture!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
We are no newbies, I assume, right? Mar 17, 2010

But let's consider a newbie with a said laptop.
The screen you see up there is 1280 x 720, so it will very well fit on this laptops monitor.
I should also add, that my fonts are set to 120 DPI, what makes the interface of Studio even bigger. The minimum font size in that view is 14 point, maximum 16 point for the text part and all 10 point for TM and concordance.
All this is highly configurable.
I fully understand, a newbie will not know all this, as he/she is a newbie.... See more
But let's consider a newbie with a said laptop.
The screen you see up there is 1280 x 720, so it will very well fit on this laptops monitor.
I should also add, that my fonts are set to 120 DPI, what makes the interface of Studio even bigger. The minimum font size in that view is 14 point, maximum 16 point for the text part and all 10 point for TM and concordance.
All this is highly configurable.
I fully understand, a newbie will not know all this, as he/she is a newbie.
But then what he/she should do in your opinion? I would suppose at least RTFM or similar.

I agree in one point: developers/programmer from SDL should hear more to translators now instead of corporations. They have already made a nice tool for corporations, now it is the time to make it perfect for translators. There are a lot of improvements in that terms and more will come, I'm quite certain. So if you have ideas what or how to change, drop a line on ideas.sdltrados.com - this will give us the opportunity to possibly get what we need.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
sorry for interrupting Mar 17, 2010

Can you please tell me to what extent this environment is or is not customizable? I mean, can you move windows around and/or change their sizes and/or activation modes?

Antonin

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to make only a basic use of Studio?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »