Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update to TE 8 or better Studio May 2, 2010

and use Word 2007 instead. The problem does not exist there.
The replacement I proposed is quite secure - you do not have to pay any attention to it while workind. After you're done replace back ^p^b with just ^b. If it is not possible, use groups (I do not remember the exact way in Word, but you'll find it in the help).

Error while converting to Word document is a very complex error without a strict cause I would know. What you should do: open the doc, save as TTX, translate
... See more
and use Word 2007 instead. The problem does not exist there.
The replacement I proposed is quite secure - you do not have to pay any attention to it while workind. After you're done replace back ^p^b with just ^b. If it is not possible, use groups (I do not remember the exact way in Word, but you'll find it in the help).

Error while converting to Word document is a very complex error without a strict cause I would know. What you should do: open the doc, save as TTX, translate two or three sentences in the doc. Attempt to save as target. As long that works, you can continue working. Please try to save target as every hour or so, to ensure you notice a critical part in the document. My option would be keeping a copy of the last properly saving TTX until the next attempt. That way you can really save time and be on the safe side.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
options May 2, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

It's clearly not foolproof... I just described how it messes up bulleted/numbered lists.

You also can't replace anything with ^b as it's not accepted in the replace with field. The reason is probably that there are several types of section break and Word would not know which to insert, so they just excluded it - a rather heavy-handed solution.

I thought I knew Word's find and replace pretty well, but I've never heard of this groups concept before... no hits on the web or in the help, either. Or maybe you mean reinserting (parts of) the search string using \1? I know that feature, you just enable Use wildcards, put brackets around the bits you want to recycle and put \1, \2 etc in the replace with field. The trouble is that wildcard search doesn't allow ^b in the search field... maybe there's another code for it you can use like the ^13 that can be used instead of ^p in wildcard search, but looking for one is just not worth the hassle... I can't rely on global find and replace anyway due to the list troubles.

Anyway, as switching to different software is not an option at the moment, I'll just keep on working on my ttx. It looks like I'll just have to revise all the section breaks one by one and delete surplus line breaks and rogue bullet points. Everything else seems to work.
Of course the cannot convert to word error message hangs menacingly above my head... if anyone has any ideas about it, I'd love to hear them.

[Edited at 2010-05-02 20:08 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Inserting (parts of) was what I meant May 2, 2010

And if you use this pattern, it should work:
search for: (^13)(^12)
replace with: \2

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ok then May 3, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And if you use this pattern, it should work:
search for: (^13)(^12)
replace with: \2

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. It should work if 12 is the code for section break, although
^13(^12) -> \1 does the same (no need to set the line break as a placeable if you're not going to use it).

But that's just a distraction, the point is that nobody should rely on global search and replace like this blindly (always review the document), and also that I still have no idea why my document produces the "Error while converting to word document" error.

Elliina
Elliina
English to Finnish
Template Sep 2, 2010

I've found a solution for all problems. Change the Word template! Copy and paste the text to a clean Word template and that does it!

[Edited at 2010-09-02 07:19 GMT]

Jorgen1977
Jorgen1977
Local time: 10:27
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Not always a good idea... Sep 9, 2010

Elliina wrote:

I've found a solution for all problems. Change the Word template! Copy and paste the text to a clean Word template and that does it!

[Edited at 2010-09-02 07:19 GMT]

I did this, and my 87 page document became 93 pages. The template has settings for how the document is handled (don't know the details), so if there's a lot of formatting in the document, another template will make the document look different. Which is quite logical, when you think of it.

[Edited at 2010-09-09 09:49 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why chosing the most complicated solution, if the one already proposed is so simple? Sep 9, 2010

In Word, before you go to TagEditor use Search and Replace.
Search for ^b
Replace with ^&^p
After you finished your translation go through (as would you do anyway) and if necessary remove unnecessary page breaks, caused by this action (there will be some few of them, however you would have to reformat the document anyway).
Any other actions are not necessary and this one is quick and easy.

But the best option is to upgrade to Trados 2009 Studio, which does no
... See more
In Word, before you go to TagEditor use Search and Replace.
Search for ^b
Replace with ^&^p
After you finished your translation go through (as would you do anyway) and if necessary remove unnecessary page breaks, caused by this action (there will be some few of them, however you would have to reformat the document anyway).
Any other actions are not necessary and this one is quick and easy.

But the best option is to upgrade to Trados 2009 Studio, which does not create such errors.
Collapse

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
2009 doesn't seem to like this either Jan 26, 2011

Dear Jerzy,
I found this forum entry by coincidence. Trados 2009 was crashing when saving target files -- no error message, no nothing, just dead. It was only when I attempted to complete the project with TE in Trados 2007 that this error message gave me a clue. Sure enough, the breaks-without-returns was the fault.

Strange how tried-and-trusted technology still has the upper hand one in a while.

-Mike-

dennis.dcn (X)
dennis.dcn (X)
Ukraine
Local time: 10:27
Russian to German
+ ...
Thank you for the workaround Oct 4, 2011

Then I tried a method inspired by Patrick Boller: replacing all page breaks and section breaks with unique markers that would be picked up by Trados - in my case simply with [page break] and [section break] in tw4winExternal style.

I would like to kindly thank Patrick Boller and Wouter van den Berg for the good workaround.
I had "Error while writing breaks" trying to save a large Word 2007 document as target. I also tried to open it in Studio 2009, but I've encountered another error (http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/192374-studio_error_message_enumeration_already_finished.html). Before giving up and trying to use another tool (Transit XV opened tje source and saved the target without any problems, so I was about to translate with it, as I like Transit in general), I tried your solution, and it really helped. So - thank you very much.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another grateful reader Oct 19, 2011

Wouter van den Berg wrote:

Then I tried a method inspired by Patrick Boller: replacing all page breaks and section breaks with unique markers that would be picked up by Trados - in my case simply with [page break] and [section break] in tw4winExternal style.

This worked... But not without re-translating the source. Because, as it turned out, SOME OF THE BREAKS WERE INSIDE SEGMENTS and that may have been the root of my problem. In my case, it wasn't too much trouble to solve this, as there were just three or four cases (out of 58 replaced break).

After adapting the tagging of these segments I could save the ttx as a Word doc. Of course, I still had to replace the "break markers" with actual breaks, but that was a piece of cake: just used the opposite Search and Replace operation ([page break] -> ^m, [section break] -> ^b).

Thanks again! I was about to give up and retranslate in MS Word, when I tried this solution. After one replacement, TE exported the translation just fine.

Best regards,
Andrés

Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Breaks without retuirns??? Dec 15, 2011

I need a quicj fix here. HOw do a find a break withiut a return. I can't see the file as such because I'm working in TagEditor - only have Word 2010... 2009 too complicated to learn without courses...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Run search and replace in Word Dec 15, 2011

In "Find what" box enter (allways without quotation marks): "^m"
In "Replace with" box enter: "^&^p"
Replace all
Leave the "Replace with" box as it was and in "Find what" enter "^b"
Once again perform the operation.
Now you should not have any problems anymore.

Lea Schultze (X)
Lea Schultze (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This hint was the one that helped Mar 7, 2012

Thanks Mustafa, after having tried to struggle through the various other hints (and failing to insert any new TAGs in TE) your hint finally helped me to overcome my problem!

Sherefedin MUSTAFA wrote:

I finally got a hint from the outsourcer.
==============================
http://talisma.sdl.com
insert: 1468 en click on search.
==============================
All information I found there helped me to find the solution for one more headachy Trados problem.

Geraldine Fuentealba
Geraldine Fuentealba
Argentina
Local time: 04:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Saving the file in a later version of Word Aug 22, 2013

I got the same "error while writing breaks" and then, when trying to save the target, I got a message saying the doc could not be opened because it was in word 97 version or earlier.
The only solution that worked for me was saving the original ".doc" file as a ".docx" file (Word 2007), and translating it again with Tag Editor.
After that, I continued the process normally and was able to save the file as target.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TAG Editor 7 - "Error while writing breaks"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »