Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What percentage of normal rate for repetitions?
Thread poster: David Jessop
Ligia Dias Costa
Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Same rates for me... Jun 2, 2009

ViktoriaG wrote:

I have figured out my own way to charge for these - I give repetitions and 100% matches away, on the condition that everything else is paid at my full rate (no fuzzy rates, even for 99% matches). And I only do this with my own 100% matches - if I am required to work with a TM created by someone else, I charge my reviewing rate for 100% matches. And then, I only do all this with established clients who are worth it - repeat business with sound payment practices is required for me to give freebies.

This is what I do too for Portuguese. repetitions and 100% = 0 eur. And that's it!

Ligia

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
repetitions, languages, nouns, adjectives, percentages Jun 2, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

But none of this applies to sentences, which is what I was talking about. Sentences rarely need to be changed according to context.

I don't know how it is in hungarian but in spanish adjetives have a genre. normally, in a sentence are one or more adjetive, you can not use a "comprado" instead a "comprada" or similar, that means I have to, at least, revise my text, and for edition I get also 30% of my rate.

Regards

Hungarian adjectives (or nouns, for that matter) have no gender, but that's not really a factor. Of course one always proofreads the 100% matches, especially if they are not full sentences.
Again, Spanish or any other romance language will usually contain the noun that an adjective refers to. And even then, if such a sentence is repeated, the odds are that the preceding sentence will also be the same. Repetition discounts exist (and are a relevant factor) solely because often whole chunks of text (paragrahps, pages) are repeated. When 20% of a text is made up of internal repetitions, that is not because 20% of the sentences happen to randomly coincide with other sentences, and thus may have an entirely different meaning in the two places... They were copy-pasted by the author and the translator needs to do little more than that.
The chances of coming across many repetition pairs in a single text that refer to a male noun in one place and female noun in another are minuscule.

Anyway, I am not saying that 30% is unjustified, I'm just saying that 15% can be perfectly reasonable if we're talking about the internal repetition of full sentences (not "words" like items in a very general list or strings in software localization).

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:50
English to French
+ ...
It depends on the language Jun 3, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

The chances of coming across many repetition pairs in a single text that refer to a male noun in one place and female noun in another are minuscule.

I have to disagree with this. It depends on the language you translate into. I can assure you that this happens quite a lot when translating into French, and it can be a headache, especially when the client decides that he implements 100% matches before you even get a PO, stupidly assuming that none of those segments need to be looked at any further. Of course, the same client then expects you to fix that mess at no charge...

I tell you, some languages are incompatible with CAT rate schemes.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:50
Flemish to English
+ ...
No discounts for Trados. Jun 3, 2009

Don't forgot to ask the %-age of normal rate for the use of Dragon Dictate, another of those tools which enhances productivity.

The answer to your question is : 0% discount or NO discount.
Correcting TMs, counting and calculating is a cumbersome task tp which I do not want to dedicate too much time.

You simply count an hourly rate which equates to the total price you want for the translation and offer that rate.

Less is more.
If you go for a lun
... See more
Don't forgot to ask the %-age of normal rate for the use of Dragon Dictate, another of those tools which enhances productivity.

The answer to your question is : 0% discount or NO discount.
Correcting TMs, counting and calculating is a cumbersome task tp which I do not want to dedicate too much time.

You simply count an hourly rate which equates to the total price you want for the translation and offer that rate.

Less is more.
If you go for a lunch in El Bulli or the Fat Duck, you will not get billed less because there is less on your plate or because the chef used the same preparation method twice.

but if you apply the trados logic : You get paid for what you deliver:

You could always leave out the articles, pronouns or leave out the discounted part of the word. Especially in Romance languages, you would end up with a new special language: Trados discount language.

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-06-03 14:01 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Trados discount language Jun 3, 2009

Williamson wrote:

You could always leave out the articles, pronouns or leave out the discounted part of the word. Especially in Romance languages, you would end up with a new special language: Trados discount language.

Hmmm... I might try that one of these days, to see if the client understands Tradosese.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:50
German to Spanish
The big problem Jun 3, 2009

is that often is not a question of what I want.

Big projects are handled between agencies and clients, all this % based discounts are part of the contract, for this and future contracts, this is the first reason to use Trados or any other CAT, they think it will be a win-win contract and any new project will be cheaper and easier, and in fact, it is... for agencies and clients. You can not use your rates in this situations, you take it or not. No option.
The big problem in thi
... See more
is that often is not a question of what I want.

Big projects are handled between agencies and clients, all this % based discounts are part of the contract, for this and future contracts, this is the first reason to use Trados or any other CAT, they think it will be a win-win contract and any new project will be cheaper and easier, and in fact, it is... for agencies and clients. You can not use your rates in this situations, you take it or not. No option.
The big problem in this kind of job based in a growing TM (normally made from several translators) is that a TM get older and any little mistake reduce quality and reliability of any analysis. What a day was a good deal for everyone is a bad job for us translator after a few years, you may win the same money like before, but you will need more time each time the TM change.

So, 30% maybe to much today for some files... But take it if you can.

Regards
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
We are back again at the nagging quality assurance issue Jun 3, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

The big problem in this kind of job based in a growing TM (normally made from several translators) is that a TM get older and any little mistake reduce quality and reliability of any analysis.

This only goes to show that some agencies are ignorant or careless enough to believe that the only thing that matters is to have the fattest TM possible. But without quality assurance, the TM is pretty much useless.

I have succeeded in talking a client of mine into only using my translation units for the analysis. Maybe if many translators start having this attitude, agencies will either implement QA for TMs or at least filter questionable translation units out of the TM used to establish POs.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What percentage of normal rate for repetitions?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »