Poll: For those with no other income, how many hours do you usually work a week?
投稿者: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
サイトのスタッフ
Mar 13, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "For those with no other income, how many hours do you usually work a week?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ben Harrison. View the poll results »

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
イタリア
Local time: 07:00
英語 から イタリア語
>50 Mar 13, 2016

Italy: taxes over 50%
two kids
my partner's salary is definitely low.
You try to work 5 + 1/2 days a week, but if you have to work 7 days a week you smile and feel happy.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
ドイツ
2006に入会
ドイツ語 から 英語
> 50 / other Mar 13, 2016

All depends on what you want from life.
I want my morgage paid off as quick as I can and work a little more to achieve this, and as long as there is enough work out there and I do not "over-stress" myself, I will keep on doing it that way.
Taxes and health insurance are also quite high here in Germany - its life, and if I did not have any children or our families were not living here in Europe, I would probably be living on The Falkland Islands or in New Zealand where conditions are
... See more
All depends on what you want from life.
I want my morgage paid off as quick as I can and work a little more to achieve this, and as long as there is enough work out there and I do not "over-stress" myself, I will keep on doing it that way.
Taxes and health insurance are also quite high here in Germany - its life, and if I did not have any children or our families were not living here in Europe, I would probably be living on The Falkland Islands or in New Zealand where conditions are apparently a lot better.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
日本
Local time: 14:00
2011に入会
日本語 から 英語
> 50 Mar 13, 2016

By necessity because I can use only two fingers of my right hand (even though I am right-handed) which makes typing that much more laborious and time-consuming.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
デンマーク
2012に入会
英語 から デンマーク語
+ ...
It varies Mar 13, 2016

of course depending on health, deadlines, social activies etc.

But my ideal week would be about 36 hours.

[Edited at 2016-03-13 10:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-13 11:41 GMT]

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
ドイツ
2004に入会
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
> 75 Mar 13, 2016

> 75

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
ブラジル
Local time: 02:00
2014に入会
英語 から ポルトガル語
+ ...
Curious working hours Mar 13, 2016

I usually spend the whole day and night with the computer on. However, our routine is pretty varied, as we don't have to follow strict working hours (thank God). So, although I turn my computer on when I wake up, and turning it off is usually the last thing I do every day, I do not spend the whole day working.
While I'm in the computer, I do many other things that work as breaks, like reading e-mails, facebooking, youtubing. googling, shopping or even playing a little videogame. I also st
... See more
I usually spend the whole day and night with the computer on. However, our routine is pretty varied, as we don't have to follow strict working hours (thank God). So, although I turn my computer on when I wake up, and turning it off is usually the last thing I do every day, I do not spend the whole day working.
While I'm in the computer, I do many other things that work as breaks, like reading e-mails, facebooking, youtubing. googling, shopping or even playing a little videogame. I also stand up many times during the day to cook, eat, wash, shower, watch the news, etc. So I think we can have a pretty healthy routine, with several hourly breaks, a cup of cofee and some fun during the working hours, something you would hardly ever be able to do in regular jobs.
My vote was from 40-50 hours a week, because I believe if I add up the actual working hours, it will add up to that.
Collapse

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
インドネシア
Local time: 12:00
英語 から インドネシア語
+ ...
100 hours a week Mar 14, 2016

As long as I hold projects to complete, I work 70 hours a week (7 days) at normal rate. In case that I get a VIP client who pay higher rate in advance, I can work 120-130 hours a week.
To be honest, my occupational motivation highly depends on money. I can work as a workaholic at very good payment in advance, but I can also work as a newbie translator at a peanut rate with long delayed payment. I can adjust my performance to payment.
Do you want my best performance? Please take VIP
... See more
As long as I hold projects to complete, I work 70 hours a week (7 days) at normal rate. In case that I get a VIP client who pay higher rate in advance, I can work 120-130 hours a week.
To be honest, my occupational motivation highly depends on money. I can work as a workaholic at very good payment in advance, but I can also work as a newbie translator at a peanut rate with long delayed payment. I can adjust my performance to payment.
Do you want my best performance? Please take VIP service. I can work 120 hours a week at higher payment in advance.

[Edited at 2016-03-14 07:41 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For those with no other income, how many hours do you usually work a week?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »