Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:56
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2015

Hi Everybody,

I received a relatively large Project to translate. However, the Client want me to send parts Daily, after translating each day; instead of waiting for the whole Project to be completed.

How can I do it on MemoQ ? Can you explain easily, step by step please? (as I'm not a pro on MemoQ)

Thanks,

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:56
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Export, then delete untranslated portions from target Feb 17, 2015

Just export the in-progress file to target (just like if it was already complete) and delete the untranslated portions from your exported file.

I'm assuming your client just wants the translated file, not the bilingual.

[Edited at 2015-02-17 20:26 GMT]

Somnath Dey
Somnath Dey  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:26
Member (2014)
English to Bengali
+ ...
memoQ job submission in batches Feb 17, 2015

Hello Zeki,

Client must have given you a handoff package file. If you are to send files in batches then all you have to do is export a bilingual file and send it to client. Client will then import the same to his handoff package and update.

and you're done..

Thanks..

Zeki Güler
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where to start next day? Feb 17, 2015

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Just export the in-progress file to target (just like if it was already complete) and delete the untranslated portions from your exported file.

I'm assuming your client just wants the translated file, not the bilingual.

[Edited at 2015-02-17 20:26 GMT]

They sent me an excel file only, not a handoff package file.

I want to continue next day from the string I left previous day on MemoQ? That is, each passing day I will send translation including all of the past days, and eventually, the whole file as translated.
(Example : 1st day: 1st part, 2nd Day: 1st+2nd parts, 3rd Day: 1+2+3rd parts ...etc)

How can I do it?

[Edited at 2015-02-17 22:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-17 22:11 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:56
Finnish to French
Create views Feb 17, 2015

If your client hasn't split the job for you, you can do it yourself by creating multiple views. For instance, here I would create a view named "Part 1", that includes rows 1 to 100:

Just do the splitting that suits your own needs and capacity. Export each view as MQXLIFF (Export > Bilingual > memoQ XLIFF) as they are ready and send the MQXLIFF to your client.

[Edited at 2015-02-17 22:14 GMT]

Zeki Güler
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How about doing it in Excel format ? Feb 18, 2015

Is there a way to send in excel format the parts I finish, while being able to continue (on MemoQ) from where I left, the next day ?

[Edited at 2015-02-18 00:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-18 01:22 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Two-column RTF is a better choice than Excel Feb 18, 2015

Zeki G. wrote:
Is there a way to send in excel format the parts I finish, while being able to continue (on MemoQ) from where I left, the next day ?

I assume you want Excel for reviewing purposes, since your reviewer is not using memoQ. If so, you can create a view for the portion you have completed and export that to two-column RTF. It is better than Excel IMO, as the reviewer will be able to use the Track changes function in Word (so you can see what modifications he/she made) and you can easily reimport the RTF into memoQ.

If you really want Excel, just copy/paste the relevant columns in the RTF into an Excel sheet.

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Romanian to English
+ ...
Just export Feb 18, 2015

I normally just export the file (doc, excel, whatever). Some phrases in the unfinished part (the one you aren't actually delivering yet) may be there, too, if automatic propagation is enabled, but I just tell the client to disregard everything from this or that page/line/row.
Then you simply continue your work.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
More info needed Feb 18, 2015

Zeki G. wrote:
I received a relatively large Project to translate. However, the Client want me to send parts Daily, after translating each day; instead of waiting for the whole Project to be completed.

It would help if you provided more information about your workflow: for instance, is your client using memoQ or not (based on your other posts, it seems he isn't)? what does your client need the partial translations for (I assume it's for reviewing purposes, but there could be other reasons)?

Zeki Güler
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For Reviewing Feb 18, 2015

Hi again,

My client wants it to start reviewing process asap. Otherwise, they will wait for me (2 weeks) to finish the project.

I dont know if they use MemoQ. I thought it might be easier to handle excel doc, which is why I said I wanted to export excel docs out of translated portions. Maybe I get more familiar with handling MQXLIFF files on this occasion and use that format in the future.

I hope that after exporting the portion I translated today I can con
... See more
Hi again,

My client wants it to start reviewing process asap. Otherwise, they will wait for me (2 weeks) to finish the project.

I dont know if they use MemoQ. I thought it might be easier to handle excel doc, which is why I said I wanted to export excel docs out of translated portions. Maybe I get more familiar with handling MQXLIFF files on this occasion and use that format in the future.

I hope that after exporting the portion I translated today I can continue from that point without making any arrangement on memoQ ? (Such as re-importing the partly finished doc into memoQ (as monolingual/bilingual?) before starting next day etc)

(where can I set the format of the exported file -MQXLIFF or excel or 2 column RTF- during exporting?)

Finally, say that I exported MQXLIFF file or RTF, and my client asked me to send it in excel or another format. Can I export the same translated portion on my memoq in various formats just clicking on "Export doc" functionality? (without doing any arrangements/preparations?)

[Edited at 2015-02-18 10:23 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
purpose of RTF Feb 18, 2015

Zeki G. wrote:
(where can I set the format of the exported file -MQXLIFF or excel or 2 column RTF- during exporting?)

Finally, say that I exported MQXLIFF file or RTF, and my client asked me to send it in excel or another format.

You don't have to set the format of the two-column RTF: it's ready for use as it is. And it has been designed specifically for reviewing by someone who isn't using memoQ. Just export to RTF and you will see what it looks like.

[Edited at 2015-02-18 12:30 GMT]

Eugenia Sánchez
Eugenia Sánchez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:56
Member (2005)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Just export and maybe delete untranslated part Feb 18, 2015

Just export everything as Annamaria said and then delete untranslated part only if necessary.

Best luck!

Euge Sánchez

Annamaria Amik wrote:

I normally just export the file (doc, excel, whatever). Some phrases in the unfinished part (the one you aren't actually delivering yet) may be there, too, if automatic propagation is enabled, but I just tell the client to disregard everything from this or that page/line/row.
Then you simply continue your work.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
How about reimporting the reviewed document? Feb 18, 2015

Eugenia Sánchez wrote:
Just export everything as Annamaria said and then delete untranslated part only if necessary.

Sure, but this is not optimal for reviewing purposes, as you won't be able to reimport the reviewed document easily (the OP said the purpose of partial deliveries were for the client to review them). A bilingual export (whether memoQ XLIFF or Two-column RTF) is a better choice IMO, for reviewing purposes.

Zeki Güler
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Client wants Excel Feb 18, 2015

I asked the client, they want it in Excel format.

I think Dominique is right about reviewing. But for this time, I need to create excel files each day.

I assume that I can do it under "Export file" section, right? And I understand that I will continue next day on my memoQ file, as if I did not export it before?

[Edited at 2015-02-18 17:31 GMT]

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Romanian to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 18, 2015

Zeki G. wrote:

I asked the client, they want it in Excel format.

I assume that I can do it under "Export file" section, right? And I understand that I will continue next day on my memoQ file, as if I did not export it before?

Exporting has no impact on the progress you made. Just export it in Excel, don't bother with the unfinished parts which may be exported, too. In a doc file, in a case like this, the unfinished pages will be empty, with some phrases scattered if there are any repetitions propagated from the finished parts. Just tell the client to ignore everything after the segment you say is finished. In this case, the client will have to combine the partial deliveries.

Play a bit with the software, it doesn't bite; create a project just for testing and see what a partially finished Excel file will look like when exported and whether you can reimport the "reviewed" file (one in which you make some changes, just for the sake of testing) even if it is just partial.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Continuing translation on MemoQ while sending parts each day

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »