Poll: How many work-related browser tabs do you have open at the moment?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 20, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many work-related browser tabs do you have open at the moment?".

View the poll results »

Jagadish Savanur
Yaotl Altan

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:30
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
None Jul 20, 2018

None, because mid-July through August is my quietest period of the year and I am not currently working on a project. Normally, when I am performing a translation I have at least four work-related browser tabs open at the same time.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
None Jul 20, 2018

None, I am not currently working on a project. The number of work-related browser tabs I have opened at the same time depends a lot on the project I’m working on at the moment, ranging from none to four, five, six…

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:30
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Right now just 2 Jul 20, 2018

But it could be up to 10

Debora d'Amato (X)
Debora d'Amato (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
4 right now Jul 20, 2018

In this open I have 4 tabs open, three of them dictionaries.
Not many since the translation is a quite simple one

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just one Jul 20, 2018

My (main) e-mail tab, and this proz tab, which I suppose doesn't count, although it is sort of loosely work-related...
I've just finished a short translation of SW strings via the client's online platform, so that tab is now closed.
I usually prefer to have as few tabs open as possible at the same time, to avoid clutter.

[Edited at 2018-07-20 10:32 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
7 Jul 20, 2018

2 of which are dictionaries.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:30
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
5 + 1 Jul 20, 2018

I usually work with 5 tabs. My Chrome already opens these 5 tabs automatically.
And I have one extra tab opened temporarily as "in another window" regularly, i.e. the one I'm currently reading/consulting.

Isa Anzaldo
Isa Anzaldo  Identity Verified
Member (2018)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More than 20 Jul 20, 2018

Between various dictionaries, mail, cloud resources, books and research articles to which I may have to refer back later, I have more than 20 open tabs, eight of which open automatically whenever I start the navigator I use for work.
It saves a lot of time to have certain resources on hand and allows quick term comparison between different sources.
Admittedly, the project I'm currently working on is filled with technicalities, but I still tend to have more than 12 open tabs while wor
... See more
Between various dictionaries, mail, cloud resources, books and research articles to which I may have to refer back later, I have more than 20 open tabs, eight of which open automatically whenever I start the navigator I use for work.
It saves a lot of time to have certain resources on hand and allows quick term comparison between different sources.
Admittedly, the project I'm currently working on is filled with technicalities, but I still tend to have more than 12 open tabs while working.
Collapse

Anne Schulz
Anne Schulz
Germany
English to German
+ ...
None Jul 20, 2018

Is this poll intended to find out if we visit Proz.com during work (as a distraction? or a helpful tool?) or after work? My answer would be totally different depending on the time of the day.

Ana Florencia Fernandez
Ana Florencia Fernandez
Argentina
Local time: 12:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only two right now, but I'm taking a coffee break! Jul 20, 2018

Normally they can be... a lot.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:30
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
12 job related and 3 non-job related Jul 21, 2018

Yes, I know, looks like a mess but I feel myself comfortable. What drives me nuts is unannounced Windows' updates:(.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
8 pro Jul 22, 2018

My email inbox, a client's FTP, Linguee, thesaurus, google, granddictionnaire.com and Proz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many work-related browser tabs do you have open at the moment?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »