Translation iteration experiment: Survey about prior perception and real results
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 30, 2010

Tomás (the creator of the translation iteration experiment) and I have thought that it would be also very interesting to know the distance between the prior perception and the real results of the translation iteration experiment for what we have created a very small survey with only 4 questions that... See more
Tomás (the creator of the translation iteration experiment) and I have thought that it would be also very interesting to know the distance between the prior perception and the real results of the translation iteration experiment for what we have created a very small survey with only 4 questions that may be answered in less than a minute.

Please, help us completing the survey here.

Survey results will be published in this same thread, once the translation iteration experiment has finished.

[Editado a las 2010-01-30 16:07 GMT]
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
Italian to English
Iterated translation? Jan 30, 2010

Hi Pablo
Having read some of the other thread, I think I understand what is meant by Iterated translation but it is not a term I had seen before.
Can I suggest that you might get more meaningful results from your survey if you could give a definition here?

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation iteration experiment: Survey about prior perception and real results Jan 30, 2010

Russell Jones wrote:

Hi Pablo
Having read some of the other thread, I think I understand what is meant by Iterated translation but it is not a term I had seen before.
Can I suggest that you might get more meaningful results from your survey if you could give a definition here?

Hi Rusell: Following your suggestion, I will try to define the translation iteration concept.

Translation iteration is a cyclical translation from the source language to the target language and then back to the source language, taking as source text the result of the previous translation each time.

To guarantee the results of this experiment, translators only receive as source text the result of the previous translation and do not know each other between, neither the original text.

Thanks a lot Russel for pointing this out!

[Editado a las 2010-01-30 17:02 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Pablo! Jan 30, 2010

Russell Jones wrote:

Indeed Pablo has described it very well. This experiment has surely been done in the past, but I have never seen it performed or its results. The idea is to see how and in what direction the text drifts (in message, meaning, register, tone, facts and figures...) from the original text after having it translated to another language and back 10 times by different people.

The experiment is advancing, although I cannot know how long it will take to complete the 10 planned iterations. I hope we can complete the iterations by the end of next week or so, but it really depends on how busy each of the participants is.

The original text is only known by the first person who translated it, and other than a little bit of context (what kind of source text came from) nobody receives any information or request influencing their translation decisions. Also, the text is really short and is not meant to be a measure of translators' ability.

There is a couple of interesting things I am seeing as the experiment advances, from the quick comments I get from the translators when they return their translation. I will comment on them once the iterations are complete.

Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
Wish I'd known:-((( Jan 31, 2010

Sorry to have missed this experiment, sounds great.

Will you publish all your results??? Please:-)

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation iteration experiment: Survey about prior perception and real results Jan 31, 2010

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

Sorry to have missed this experiment, sounds great.
Will you publish all your results??? Please:-)

Hi Bilbo: of course we will publish all the results of the experiment and of the survey once the experiment has been finished. Anyway, you can still complete the survey here if you have not done it already.

[Editado a las 2010-01-31 14:31 GMT]

Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
I did the survey ... Jan 31, 2010

... and commented quite a lot:-)

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation iteration experiment: Survey about prior perception and real results Feb 2, 2010

This post is only to remember you can still complete the survey about the translation iteration experiment by clicking the word here.

<
... See more
This post is only to remember you can still complete the survey about the translation iteration experiment by clicking the word here.

[Editado a las 2010-02-02 18:05 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In other words... Feb 3, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

In other words... bump? Is blatant bumping up of threads allowed in the ProZ.com forums?

[Edited at 2010-02-03 10:21 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation iteration experiment: Survey about prior perception and real results Feb 3, 2010

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

In other words... bump? Is blatant bumping up of threads allowed in the ProZ.com forums?

If you think so.... is up to you. I do not guess this is blatant bumping as you may consider, since a few posts before someone missed the experiment and the survey and they may be other people alike. IMO it is only a reminder.

Anyway, if you are not a moderator and so far I know you are not, I neither believe this is the way to go as you have at the bottom of the thread a very clear statement: To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator.

If you are right, they will delete the post and that is all.

[Editado a las 2010-02-03 17:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation iteration experiment: Survey about prior perception and real results

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »