Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What percentage of normal rate for repetitions?
Thread poster: David Jessop
David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2009

Hi,

What do you typically charge for word repetitions? I have an agency that offered me around 15% of my normal rate for word repetitions... this seems quite low since it still takes some time... any thoughts on this issue are appreciated.

Best,
David

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:12
English to French
usually more Jun 1, 2009

like 30%
Have a nice day

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
word repetitions Jun 1, 2009

David Jessop wrote:

Hi,

What do you typically charge for word repetitions? I have an agency that offered me around 15% of my normal rate for word repetitions... this seems quite low since it still takes some time... any thoughts on this issue are appreciated.

Best,
David

What do you mean by word repetitions?
If you're talking about sentence (TU) repetitions within the text (i.e. not 100% matches coming from the TM, and thus from another translator but sentences that you have translated yourself within the same job), 15% sounds reasonable. Just how much do you want to charge for pressing ALT-plus?

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Couldn't disagree more Jun 1, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:
...15% sounds reasonable. Just how much do you want to charge for pressing ALT-plus?

Dear Andras (I hope that's your first name),
repetitions are not always just a matter of pressing ALT-Plus: at least not in Czech. Just imagine you are translating a list (ordered or unordered; doesn't really matter) which repeats three times in an English source text. Depending on the context, all entries in the first instance of the list may use the nominative, the second instance may use the dative, and the third instance the accusative, to give an example. So you always have to check the context and modify the target units accordingly. And this is worth much more than 15%.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Hm... Jun 1, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

Just how much do you want to charge for pressing ALT-plus?

For ALT-plus, I would make it for free, and you? Would you like to work for me?

Here is the table used by Catcount:

http://www.catcount.com/cat_translation/entering_wordcounts.gif

Regards

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hard to tell: depends on the language pair Jun 1, 2009

It's not just pressing Alt-plus?

Even if you have translated it yourself, the same sentence might need a different translation depending on the context in which it appears.

When translating from English into Spanish, the same English sentence requires a different Spanish translation if it appears as a bullet point or as a chapter heading.

At the very least, you must review the repeated sentence, check that it is correct for the new context and change it acc
... See more
It's not just pressing Alt-plus?

Even if you have translated it yourself, the same sentence might need a different translation depending on the context in which it appears.

When translating from English into Spanish, the same English sentence requires a different Spanish translation if it appears as a bullet point or as a chapter heading.

At the very least, you must review the repeated sentence, check that it is correct for the new context and change it accordingly.

How often you have to implement changes will depend on the language involved.

For EN->ES, I have often seen 30% paid for repetitions.

For other language pairs, a lower rate might OK but other pairs it might be too little.

Daniel
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
my 2 cents Jun 1, 2009

Depending on how happy I am with the base rate and the customer, I have agreed on charging different rates from 15% to 30% for repetitions.

Below 15 is not acceptable for me, above 30 is not acceptable for them, and in between it is a matter of negotiations within the entire context, so to say.

HTH

Antonin

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
words vs sentences Jun 1, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
...15% sounds reasonable. Just how much do you want to charge for pressing ALT-plus?

Dear Andras (I hope that's your first name),
repetitions are not always just a matter of pressing ALT-Plus: at least not in Czech. Just imagine you are translating a list (ordered or unordered; doesn't really matter) which repeats three times in an English source text. Depending on the context, all entries in the first instance of the list may use the nominative, the second instance may use the dative, and the third instance the accusative, to give an example. So you always have to check the context and modify the target units accordingly. And this is worth much more than 15%.

Of course. But none of this applies to sentences, which is what I was talking about. Sentences rarely need to be changed according to context.

It's funny how everyone is invoking linguistic differences... Do you think these issues don't present when translating from an indo-european language into Hungarian, one of the most isolated languages in Europe? They do and they hardly ever matter when it comes to sentence repetitions.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
To second Daniel Jun 1, 2009

I can only second Daniel's post. I think he's said it all...

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
30% is standard Jun 1, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

But none of this applies to sentences, which is what I was talking about. Sentences rarely need to be changed according to context.

I don't know how it is in hungarian but in spanish adjetives have a genre. normally, in a sentence are one or more adjetive, you can not use a "comprado" instead a "comprada" or similar, that means I have to, at least, revise my text, and for edition I get also 30% of my rate.

Regards

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:12
English to French
+ ...
Segments vs. sentences Jun 1, 2009

With CAT tools, we can hardly ever talk about sentences. For example, a phrase preceding a bulleted list is usually not a sentence, but it is still a segment. Let's use the following example:
These are:

I frequently get this is my translations, and translating this into French can be a mess, as the translation can be both
Ces derniers sont :

and
Ces dernières sont :

depending on the gender of the subject in the preceding sentence.

In Hungarian, this gender problem is nonexistent, as things and people don't have genders.
He left.

and
She left.

are both translated as
Elment.

Hungarian is a tough language, but it is also a very logical one. Because of its grammar and sentence structures, and because of its natural default writing style, it is much more suitable for sentence-by-sentence translation (context is not nearly as important) which makes it rather compatible with CAT tool repetitions. However, many languages, mostly romance languages to my knowledge, are incompatible with the idea of repetitions.

I would say that, if you translate into a romance language or any other language that relies heavily on context, you should charge for repetitions. But I'd rather not say how much. I have figured out my own way to charge for these - I give repetitions and 100% matches away, on the condition that everything else is paid at my full rate (no fuzzy rates, even for 99% matches). And I only do this with my own 100% matches - if I am required to work with a TM created by someone else, I charge my reviewing rate for 100% matches. And then, I only do all this with established clients who are worth it - repeat business with sound payment practices is required for me to give freebies.

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
ridiculous! Jun 1, 2009

David Jessop wrote:

... an agency that offered me around 15% of my normal rate for word repetitions... this seems quite low since it still takes some time

Talking about an average rate of EUR 0.12/word a repetition would earn you EUR 0.018 per word. The editor/proofreader will charge between EUR 0.03 and 0.04 for the same sentence - because he has to read and compare.

So should you, because you have to read and compare as well. Imagine you have an error in your TM - would you like to repeat this error ad infinitum? And how about formatting the sentence, if necessary? Just for fun and free of charge?

Nobody (not even in the Czech Republic) can be happy with 15% of a regular charge per word and quantity is no argument.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
can you please watch your tongue? Jun 1, 2009

Hans G. Liepert wrote:

Nobody (not even in the Czech Republic) can be happy with 15% of a regular charge per word and quantity is no argument.

I find this statement of yours:

(1) deliberately offending with respect to the Czech Republic;

(2) simply preposterous.

Antonin

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
@ Antonín: Jun 1, 2009

Hi Antonín,
I don't think Hans had any bad intentions in his post. Let's take that with a pinch of salt, shall we?

Olieslagers
Olieslagers
French Polynesia
Local time: 08:12
Dutch to French
+ ...
Shall I revise my own policy!? Jun 2, 2009

I've never charged my clients for the repetitions (100% matches) in the same project...but maybe I should, since it still requires revision, as mentioned by Viktoria.
[Edited at 2009-06-02 00:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-02 00:22 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What percentage of normal rate for repetitions?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »