Need advice on Trados rates
Thread poster: NathalieVVT (X)
NathalieVVT (X)
NathalieVVT (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
French to English
+ ...
Aug 24, 2005

I would like to fix my Trados rates the following way and welcome your thoughts and suggestions:

Repetitions - 20% of normal rate
100% - 20% of normal rate
95%-99% fuzzy match - 50% of normal rate
85%-94% fuzzy match - 70% of normal rate
75%-84% - Normal rate
50%-74% - Normal rate
No Match - Normal rate

Sylvia Scheibe
Sylvia Scheibe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:29
English to German
+ ...
Negociation Aug 25, 2005

Hi Nathalie,
your rates look quite reasonable although I often see lower rates for the 85% - 100% bit (50% of normal rate for 85%-94% fuzzy match and 25% for 95%-100% matches for example). I think this is all a matter of negociation. You might go a bit lower for 95%-99% rates if a client tries to negociate, as this category is not much work. But you could try to convince your clients of your rates in the first place.
Some agencies try to agree on rates lower than the normal rate for
... See more
Hi Nathalie,
your rates look quite reasonable although I often see lower rates for the 85% - 100% bit (50% of normal rate for 85%-94% fuzzy match and 25% for 95%-100% matches for example). I think this is all a matter of negociation. You might go a bit lower for 95%-99% rates if a client tries to negociate, as this category is not much work. But you could try to convince your clients of your rates in the first place.
Some agencies try to agree on rates lower than the normal rate for 50%-74% or for 75%-84% matches. I would not accept this, as matches in these two categories are almost useless.
Hope that helps a bit
Sylvia
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
So-called "Trados rates" Aug 25, 2005

My suggestion would be:

50% for repetitions and 100% matches
This reduction to be extended to fuzzy matches which are lower than 100% owing to divergences in formatting only. (How such matches are rated probably varies according to the software used.)

For all other fuzzy matches: full rate.

I suggest that we ditch, once and for all, this stupid notion that the work entailed by translation of a passage of text can be quantified by such primitive algori
... See more
My suggestion would be:

This reduction to be extended to fuzzy matches which are lower than 100% owing to divergences in formatting only. (How such matches are rated probably varies according to the software used.)

I suggest that we ditch, once and for all, this stupid notion that the work entailed by translation of a passage of text can be quantified by such primitive algorithms as "fuzzy matches", with no regard for the nature of the text, its level of difficulty, etc. Let's assert ourselves as professionals, and go back to translating texts - and being paid for it - and not "segments".

I see that 11613 site users are currently listed as owners of Trados. How much does it cost Trados to produce the 11614th copy? The program's already been written, right? The production line's already up and running, right? So the only extra cost to Trados is 50 cents to press a couple of CDs, right? Why are Trados purchasers paying full whack for the same work, over and over again? How about that as a basis for price negotiations?

Marc

Hey, is no one going to disagree with me?

[Edited at 2005-08-25 09:26]
Collapse

Tanguy Przybylski

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Is splitting 85-99 into two groups really necessary? Aug 25, 2005

Nathalie Vu-Van-Toan wrote:
95%-99% fuzzy match - 50% of normal rate
85%-94% fuzzy match - 70% of normal rate

I have found that except for very long sentences, the difference in translation speed for 95-99% matches and 85-94% matches is neglegible. A 95% match is usually one in which only one or two words are different, in my experience, unless the sentence is very, very long. A 75% match is usually a little more complex, but it still takes me less than half the time to translate than a no-match. Consequently, I charge a single rate for the whole 75-99% match group, namely 50% of my normal translation rate.

NathalieVVT (X)
NathalieVVT (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks you all Aug 25, 2005

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I have tweaked my rates accordingly.

Priscilla Whitaker
Priscilla Whitaker  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Amen, Marc - charge for your work Aug 25, 2005

I agree with Marc - the fact that the value our brain power is being whittled away with rationalizations by the people who want to use it does really bother me. If they want a cheap translation, they can certainly do it in bits and pieces for free on the internet - and get what they pay for.

See my CHARGE comments in the forum about Charging for Repetitions. I may be a bit of a newbie, and perhaps an idealist, but I know that my perfectionism and concern about the quality of the d
... See more
I agree with Marc - the fact that the value our brain power is being whittled away with rationalizations by the people who want to use it does really bother me. If they want a cheap translation, they can certainly do it in bits and pieces for free on the internet - and get what they pay for.

See my CHARGE comments in the forum about Charging for Repetitions. I may be a bit of a newbie, and perhaps an idealist, but I know that my perfectionism and concern about the quality of the document they've ordered is worth some money. If they don't want to pay for it, they don't value the very thing they contacted me for - a correct translation of their work. I imagine they have the same attitude towards their clientele??? How do they feel when their customers go elsewhere because they are asking a higher price for a quality product??? Unite, unite!
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Other CAT-tool rates... Aug 29, 2005

I would like to fix my Déjà Vu/Wordfast/Sdlx rates the following way and welcome your thoughts and suggestions:

Repetitions - 100% of normal rate
95%-99% fuzzy match - 100% of normal rate
85%-94% fuzzy match - 100% of normal rate
75%-84% - Normal rate
50%-74% - Normal rate
No Match - Normal rate

since DV/Wordfast/Sdlx do not impose the matches system to their end-customers, it's a Trados invention.

and i agree with Marc..Gai
... See more
I would like to fix my Déjà Vu/Wordfast/Sdlx rates the following way and welcome your thoughts and suggestions:

Repetitions - 100% of normal rate
95%-99% fuzzy match - 100% of normal rate
85%-94% fuzzy match - 100% of normal rate
75%-84% - Normal rate
50%-74% - Normal rate
No Match - Normal rate

since DV/Wordfast/Sdlx do not impose the matches system to their end-customers, it's a Trados invention.

and i agree with Marc..Gaining millions and force others to give reductions. Nice marketing strategy...

[Edited at 2005-08-29 10:06]
Collapse

Dr Pedro Seixas
Dr Pedro Seixas  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I think you could hardly be more lucid, thanks for a very wise (but certainly not widely shared) op Aug 6, 2008

Marc P wrote:

My suggestion would be:

I suggest that we ditch, once and for all, this stupid notion that the work entailed by translation of a passage of text can be quantified by such primitive algorithms as "fuzzy matches", with no regard for the nature of the text, its level of difficulty, etc. Let's assert ourselves as professionals, and go back to translating texts - and being paid for it - and not "segments".

I see that 11613 site users are currently listed as owners of Trados. How much does it cost Trados to produce the 11614th copy? The program's already been written, right? The production line's already up and running, right? So the only extra cost to Trados is 50 cents to press a couple of CDs, right? Why are Trados purchasers paying full whack for the same work, over and over again? How about that as a basis for price negotiations?

Marc

Hey, is no one going to disagree with me?

[Edited at 2005-08-25 09:26]

Christen Stephansen
Christen Stephansen
Local time: 16:29
English to Danish
+ ...
Fuzzy matches is CAT related, not work related. Apr 9, 2009

I strongly agree with Marc P and even more with Williamson.

I just lost my first business opportunity because of this, and instead of retyping it all I will copy/paste the relevant parts of our e-mail conversation:

Agency:
"I have to disagree with you regarding fuzzy matches. Fuzzy matches are conventionally used in translation, not only by Trados/SDL but by other CAT tool developers. Having been a translator myself in the past, I can tell you that in my experienc
... See more
I strongly agree with Marc P and even more with Williamson.

I just lost my first business opportunity because of this, and instead of retyping it all I will copy/paste the relevant parts of our e-mail conversation:

Agency:
"I have to disagree with you regarding fuzzy matches. Fuzzy matches are conventionally used in translation, not only by Trados/SDL but by other CAT tool developers. Having been a translator myself in the past, I can tell you that in my experience and the one of many fellow translators, we actually do profit from fuzzy matches more often than not. Although we have to review them, we don't spend as much time on them simply because we do not need to retype the entire sentence but just slightly modify, i.e edit, especially when the match rate is high (75% - 99%). Do you charge the same rate for translating and editing?"

My reply:
"I understand your points of view, but I strongly disagree that fuzzy matches is a term used in other situations than using CAT tools, and therefore I see them as related to the CAT tools alone instead of the work we are doing. The time I spend on translating a sentence and typing it on my computer, is somewhat the same as moving words about with copy/paste. In fact, it will often be quicker for me to just retype the whole sentence. It is not a question of time spent (in that case I would charge per hour, not words) but of how much context is being translated. Your comparison between translating and editing is out of place, in my opinion."

Sincerely,
Christen Stephansen
Collapse

Peter Nielsen
Peter Nielsen
Denmark
English to Danish
Christen Stephansen is very right. Nov 27, 2013

Fuzzy matches are used to negotiate with. But an 87% match is not necessarily quicker to complete than a 0% match. There's editing, tags, extra spaces, etc. The truth is I often delete the fuzzy matches and rewrite the whole sentence - Its simply just quicker.

Fuzzy matches CAN be useful - But stand by your rates.
I mean if we just accept the agencies 'rules', what will the future be then?

PM
CM
Repition
CRF
100%
95%-99%
90%-94%
... See more
Fuzzy matches are used to negotiate with. But an 87% match is not necessarily quicker to complete than a 0% match. There's editing, tags, extra spaces, etc. The truth is I often delete the fuzzy matches and rewrite the whole sentence - Its simply just quicker.

Fuzzy matches CAN be useful - But stand by your rates.
I mean if we just accept the agencies 'rules', what will the future be then?

PM
CM
Repition
CRF
100%
95%-99%
90%-94%
85%-89%
80%-84%
75%-79%
70%-74%
65%-69%
60%-64%
55%-59%
50%-54%
45%-49%
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need advice on Trados rates

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »