Are deleted answers counted in the total questions answered?
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:27
German to English
Mar 4, 2008

This is a question that can probably only be answered by a moderator or a staff member.
Sometimes people decide to delete an answer given to a KudoZ question for various reasons. After entering an answer, for example, they may see that someone has just entered an identical answer. My question is whether such deleted answers are currently being counted under "questions answered" in a person's profile and thus lowering his or her "reliability ratio."

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:27
Japanese to English
They *should* be counted, shouldn't they? Mar 5, 2008

Hi Kim,
I have no idea whether or not they're actually counted, but in reality, they should be, shouldn't they?
Otherwise, people could just go ahead and delete every answer they ever posted that was not selected by the Asker, thus giving themselves a 100% "reliability ratio."
What about "Not for Points" questions? I know this was raised in the past, but I can't remember if we ever
... See more
Hi Kim,
I have no idea whether or not they're actually counted, but in reality, they should be, shouldn't they?
Otherwise, people could just go ahead and delete every answer they ever posted that was not selected by the Asker, thus giving themselves a 100% "reliability ratio."
What about "Not for Points" questions? I know this was raised in the past, but I can't remember if we ever got the answer...

Kathy
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 22:27
English to German
+ ...
Good question, Kim Mar 5, 2008

KathyT wrote:

Kathy

I know of at least one member in the DE-EN pair who usually hides all her answers if they are not selected by the asker.

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
reliability ratio? Mar 5, 2008

Where does one see the reliability ratio?

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reliability ratio Mar 5, 2008

Hi WilRoy. There is no official "reliability ratio" as such, but the stats that are published on everyone's profile: questions answered divided by Pro-level points are used by some to get an idea of how reliable KudoZ answerers are. Right now you've got a very respectable 2.25.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER

WilRoy wrote:

Where does one see the reliability ratio?

You can see your KudoZ statistics on your profile:

First, click on your PRO-level points

A window will pop up and you will see four tabs on the top right corner

1. Point Totals 2. Stats 3. Asked 4. Answered

Click on Stats

and then you will see all the statistics you need:

Questions answered
Answers accepted
Acceptance rate
Percent non-PRO
Percent PRO
Average agrees per question
Average disagrees per question

Hope this helps,

Monika

[Edited at 2008-03-05 16:07]

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER

Hi Monika - I think the stats tab is available to members only. In my case at least, I can see only the point totals, asked and answered.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
members only feature Mar 5, 2008

Monika, AFAIK the "Stats" tab is available only in member profiles (or so I was once told).

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This is a member-only feature Mar 5, 2008

Monika Coulson wrote:

Click on Stats

and then you will see all the statistics you need:

Questions answered
Answers accepted
Acceptance rate
Percent non-PRO
Percent PRO
Average agrees per question
Average disagrees per question

Hope this helps,

Monika

As far as I know, this is a member-only feature, so WilRoy will not be able to see it on his/her profile.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for reminding me... Mar 5, 2008

Thank you Kim, Cindy and LittleBalu,
I had forgotten that it's a member-only feature... Thanks for reminding me.

As far as Kim's original question, AFAIK, deleted answers count in the total questions answered.

Have a nice day everyone,
Monika

[Edited at 2008-03-05 16:40]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:27
SITE STAFF
Deleted answers are not counted Mar 5, 2008

Hello all,

Answers deleted by the answerer are not counted in the "Questions answered" field of the profile.

Best regards,

Jared

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
@Jared: but are they counted in the stats? Mar 5, 2008

It would be too easy if they were not at least counted in the stats/ratio, wouldn't it? Just delete most of your answers that have not been selected and achieve a really nice acceptance ratio...

I'd already wondered about this one. Looking forward to a clear answer on this.

Cheers,
Andrea

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:27
SITE STAFF
Your statistics are for you to see Mar 5, 2008

Hello Andrea,

To habitually remove answers to gain unfair advantage in KudoZ would not be in line with site rules (see http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 ). Site moderators and staff work constantly to ensure these rules are followed, for everyone's benefit. Of course, if you have reason to believe there is a case of abuse in KudoZ, or elsewhere on the site, please contact ei
... See more
Hello Andrea,

To habitually remove answers to gain unfair advantage in KudoZ would not be in line with site rules (see http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 ). Site moderators and staff work constantly to ensure these rules are followed, for everyone's benefit. Of course, if you have reason to believe there is a case of abuse in KudoZ, or elsewhere on the site, please contact either one of the moderators for that area, or site staff via support request.

Now, with the stats you'll notice on the "Stats" tab in your KudoZ history, the following:

The KudoZ stats page is for your use only, no one else can view this information.

Visitors to your profile are more likely to check the PRO points you have earned in a given language pair and specialty. And they are more likely to find you, either via web searches or through the directory, if you are earning PRO points and answering KudoZ questions.

It is interesting to note that giving good answers to KudoZ questions has advantages beyond your statistics. Not only are you providing help to the asker of the question, you are also providing help to other language professionals who may later search for a term, and for whom the most helpful term may be different. You are also boosting your web visibility to potential clients and showing your activity in your language pair(s) and area(s) of expertise.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Deleted answers are not counted - but they should! Mar 6, 2008

Jared Tabor wrote:

Hello all,

Answers deleted by the answerer are not counted in the "Questions answered" field of the profile.

Best regards,

Jared

Ooops, the message sent itself far too early!

If you calculate the "reliability ratio" like Kim did above, then the percentage you get is plain wrong if answerers simply hide all the answers they didn't get points for. In the worst (for them best) case, that gives them a 100% rate of answers given / answers accepted.

[Edited at 2008-03-06 06:45]

[Edited at 2008-03-06 06:45]

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
And she has done it again! Mar 6, 2008

I just checked a question that was asked yesterday in the DE-EN pair. The person I'm talking about (see my first post in this thread) had posted a suggestion, earned herself 3 "disagrees" for it and has now hidden her answer, as usual.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are deleted answers counted in the total questions answered?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »